The Galveston Bay Foundation (GBF) is a nonprofit organization located on the Upper Texas Coast that has worked for 30 years to preserve and enhance one of the world’s most productive estuaries—Galveston Bay—as a healthy and productive place for generations to come. We have diverse programs in land preservation, habitat restoration, water quality and quantity, youth education, and advocacy. GBF’s annual budget is approximately $5 million, but varies depending on the projects undertaken in any given year. Our office is located approximately 25 miles southeast of downtown Houston in the Clear Lake area. To learn more about the Galveston Bay Foundation, please visit www.galvbay.org or find us on social media.
Position title: Staff Accountant
Reports to: Director of Finance
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Salary and benefits: $45,000 - $55,000, depending on experience. Benefits package includes health insurance options, long-term disability insurance, retirement savings with company match, and paid time off accrual
GBF seeks a full-time Staff Accountant to perform essential accounting duties as well as billing and financial reporting to support operations and programs and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). A significant function of this position involves the careful preparation, submittal, and tracking of invoices for GBF’s reimbursable grants. Duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Processing invoices and ensuring payables are paid in a timely manner
- Managing the diverse accounts receivable requirements of GBF’s 30+ reimbursable grants (mostly from federal and state agencies) and ensuring invoices are prepared and submitted in accordance with the formats and timeline required by each granting agency/organization
- Coordinating with the Director of Finance on other needs of the accounting department
- Preparing and submitting other financial forms and reports required by grant agencies
- Running financial reports and performing reconciliations as requested by program, development, or executive staff
- Reviewing and processing cash and credit card receipts
- Reviewing and processing monthly credit card charges
- Assisting with monthly close including monthly recurring journal entries
- Reconciling general ledger accounts
- Assisting with preparing information for the annual external audit and tax return
Bachelor’s degree in accounting (or a closely related field) and two or more years of relevant experience required. Experience in nonprofit accounting and sophisticated accounting software (we use Blackbaud’s Financial Edge NXT) and advanced Excel functions are strongly preferred. Knowledge of and experience in the financial requirements of government and other reimbursable grants a plus. Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills are essential. Candidates should be organized, detail-oriented, adept at problem-solving, and possess a highly accurate and efficient work style. Candidates should also be responsive to feedback, capable of meeting multiple deadlines in a busy nonprofit environment, and able to work independently once trained.
For a detailed job description, including duties, qualifications, requirements, and compensation, visit http://galvbay.org/about/about-us/work-for-gbf/.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 11, 2018. Please reference position title in subject line of email. If selected for an interview, be prepared to provide at least three professional references and take a basic accounting test. If selected as a final candidate, a background check will be conducted.
Location/Region: Houston - Clear Lake area