Supply chain leadership position, involves collaborating acrossmultiple departments and divisions in order to improve the suppliermanagement practices of the organization. Position is responsiblefor identifying and implementing strategic procurement goals andobjectives across the business unit. Individual will own theperformance of specific commodities and suppliers who provide thosecomponents. Activity to cover existing purchased parts as well asevaluation of current in-house made parts for Make/Buy decisions tosupport capacity, program support and/or cost goals. Requiresan ability to build positive relationships with key suppliers whileleveraging these relationships to improve supplier quality, costs,service, and preserve Department of Defense (DOD)certification. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES:
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: (if applicable):
- Develops and implements commodity strategies: leads the teamto develop commodity strategies; develops commodity specificsuppliers based on performance (Quality, Service, Technology,and Price); and follows strategies outlined.
- Leads the team in negotiations for lowest upfront cost forcommodities owned: responsible for supplier relationship &negotiating pricing and terms with commodity supplier; meetswith suppliers on ongoing basis to share scorecard performanceand discuss areas for improvement; identifies/closes costreduction opportunities with suppliers; discusses/closes costreduction ideas with suppliers generated from workshops and/orsuggestions; and maintains performance management system anddrives ideas to closure.
- Manages price increase situations and cost improvementinitiatives with the team: establish multi-year agreements tolock in pricing; re-negotiates contracts when necessary in casesof price increases; and develops alternative plans if necessary.
- Negotiates and executes critical, complex, high-value awardseither in conjunction with a buyer or independently; determinethe commodity responsibility.
- Participates in Make/Buy determinations for existingproduction, engineering programs and new business awards
- Ensures buyers compliance with Small Business Administrationand Department of Defense regulations in procurement activities,including outreach efforts to disadvantaged suppliers.
- Coordinates, schedules and facilitates as applicable Lean/SixSigma activities for own work area as well as for other areas toenhance cross-functional problems solving; utilize Company toolchampions as appropriate for more significant lean events.
- Develops, tracks and reports visual metrics, including KPI’sfor area; react to metrics by identifying and solving problems,making improvements and advancing process control. Participatein safety training and actively comply with safety policies andpractices.
- Ensure 5S is adhered to and sustained within work area.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Employees are committed to ensuring a safe and healthy workenvironment. Employees are responsible for cooperating with allaspects of the safety program. All employees are expected todemonstrate proper safety behaviors, including reporting anyunsafe conditions or safety violations to a supervisor ormanager. Employees are dedicated to obtaining and maintainingthe Cobham goal of zero accidents and injuries.
- Work independently as well as lead a team possibly consistingof buyer/planners, engineers, and other personnel inimplementation of strategies.
- Direct reports, if any, will be strong potential within twoyears.
- Responsibilities require motivating a cross-functional team towork together in implementing the commodity strategies acrossthe global organization and implementing cost reductions in theorganization.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS: (The following qualifications can beacquired and demonstrated through experience, education and/orvocational training as noted or as appropriate.)
- Works in an environment where continuous improvement methodsare utilized to manufacture quality products according to designspecifications and customer expectations.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience/Education: Fifteen years or more of applicable workexperience in a manufacturing environment. Ten yearsof specific buying, cost reduction, strategic sourcing, totalcost of ownership management, and/or materials/manufacturingexperience. Bachelor’s Degree in technical discipline, MBA aplus.
- Communication Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpretgeneral business periodicals, professional journals, technicalprocedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to writereports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond toquestions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and thegeneral public.
- Strong Contract writing skill set. Ability to developvarious types of contracts that support a specific commoditygroup strongly preferred.
- Math Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such asdiscounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages,area, circumference, and volume. Ability to read partprints and work with engineering on design optimizationopportunities.
- Analytical Skills: Able to synthesize complex or diverseinformation; Collects and researches data Ability to defineproblems, collect data, establish facts, and draw validconclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety oftechnical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and dealwith several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills: Strong computing skills in theareas of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and ability to learnnew corporate systems. Ability to use Enterprise-wide(ERP) Previous SAP or Oracle experiences a plus.
- Time Management and Organizational skills: flexibility andadaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability tomaintain confidentiality;
- Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive and positiveeven in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fullyaccountable for their success; align actions, behaviors andconversations to what matters most; bring out the best in othersand recognize the value in every person’s contributions.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM); or
- Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM); or
- The Institute for Supply Management (ISM), preferred.
All applicants must be a U.S Citizen or U.S Person as defined byITAR (a lawful permanent resident or someone who is a protectedindividual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)). In order to beeligible for positions requiring a Security Clearance, you must be aUS Citizen.About Us:
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in thedevelopment, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace anddefense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients andpartners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technologythey need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity andpassion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empoweringculture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plansfor the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding,exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer andembraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy ofCobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants andemployees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexualorientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham willrefrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against,employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclosetheir compensation or the compensation of other employees orapplicants.
Location/Region: San Diego, CA